CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Paying for Popularity

In this article from Ad Age Digital, I read about the new social network Badoo, based in Great Britain, that has recognized our disdain for the high volumes of advertising present in the "standard" social networks, like MySpace and Facebook. Badoo offers a service called "Rise Up," charging $1, 1 pound, or 1 Euro depending on your location, per access, and has banned advertisements. I personally feel as though it shows the power of advertising--sure, you have a way of opting out of them, but then you tend to realize just how much of an effect that they truly have. Badoo would charge me a dollar per time I accessed it. If I used it as much as I use Facebook now, that could run up to $10 on a really slow day at work. I get irritated with ads sometimes, but I haven't found the ones on Facebook to be so intrusive that I would seriously consider an alternative. I'm curious to see where they'll be and how much profit they can get--in other words, how much people are affected by ads...

1 comments:

JS2 Communications said...

Dear Rachel, you and your friends can use Badoo for free. There is no charge for signing up and connecting with friends and family. The charge mentioned in the Ad Age article refers to a feature called "Rise Up" which allows members to showcase their profile, but only if they wish to do so. The site is completely free and refreshingly transparent. I encourage you to check it out and sign up if you like social networking...it is a great way to make friends around the globe.